I was going through some recipes that my Mom has shared with me and found this one. Our family, usually in the summer months, do A LOT of grilling and this is one of our favorite dishes to be served with BBQ, grilled Chicken or Beef.
Southern Baked Beans
- 8 slices thick bacon, halved
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, diced small
- 3 large cans (28 ounces each) pork and beans
- 3/4 cup barbeque sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup distilled white or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 F degrees.
- Fry bacon in large, deep pan skillet until bacon has partially cooked and released about 1/4 cup drippings.
- Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add onions and peppers to drippings in pan and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans and remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. (If skillet is not large enough, add beans and heat to a simmer then transfer to a large bowl and stir in remaining ingredients).
- Pour flavored beans into a greased 13-by 9-inch (or similar size) ovenproof pan.
- Top with bacon, then bake until beans are bubbly and sauce is the consistency of pancake syrup, about 2 hours. Let stand to thicken slightly and serve.
Footnote: As for the thick-cut bacon, peppered bacon is our favorite with this recipe. Also, this recipe serves 18 so you might want to think about cutting the ingredients in half.