Pies are a ‘thang’ of the South. I have always had a hard time baking pies, except for fried pies. My family loves sweet stuff so I found the nerve to attempt this one and it turned out purrrfect! I served this with sweetened whipped cream but vanilla ice cream will be the next topping to try with this recipe.
Blueberry Buttermilk Pie
- 1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1 (9-inch) frozen deep-dish pie crust, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup whole buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Sweetened whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Place blueberries in pie crust. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract at medium-low speed with an electric mixer until butter is in nickel-sized pieces, approximately 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, stir together sugar, flour, and salt; stir into egg mixture. Pour into pie crust.
- Bake until set, 60 to 65 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool before serving. Top slices with whipped cream, if desired.