Middle Tennessee is finally getting some rain today and our bean field in front of our home truly needs the rain. But it also puts me in the mood for soup and I am sharing a delicious, comforting recipe so try it out and let me know how you like it.
Beef and Tomato Macaroni Soup
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups chopped yellow onion (1 small)1 cup chopped carrots (2 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh marjoram (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme (or 3/4 tsp dried)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 cups (5.6 oz) dry small elbow pasta
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn (optional)
- Fresh chopped parsley and finely grated Parmesan cheese, per serving
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots and saute 3 minutes then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Pour mixture onto a plate.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in pot over medium-high heat, add beef, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned. Drain fat from beef.
- Return sauteed veggies to pot along with beef broth, tomato sauce, tomatoes, Worcestershire, marjoram, thyme, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Add in pasta, cover and reduce heat to medium,. Boil stirring occasionally, until pasta has cooked through, about 15 – 20 minutes. If adding corn, stir in corn during last 3 minutes of cooking.
- Remove bay leaves, serve warm garnished with fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese if desired.